6 bed equestrian property for saleLouth, LN11
Interested in this property? Call us on 01673 843011
- Period Property Grade II Listed
- 6 Bedrooms
- 3 Rec. Rooms/3 Bathrooms
- 6 Stables/Outbuildings
- In all just over 6.5 Acres
- More Land Available
- by Separate Negotiation
- No Forward Chain
Believed to have been constructed in the Regency era, the sale of Cawkwell House provides a truly rare and remarkable opportunity to acquire a charming Grade II Listed residence nestled within well maintained grounds of over 6.5 acres.
The sale combines superb grounds and mature woodland, all surrounding the residence, which is further complimented by the ornamental man made spring-fed lake, stabling and coach house. If required further land is available for purchase or rent by private arrangement.
A truly superb setting with the most enviable views over the lake and out onto rolling countryside across each elevation. Viewing is most highly recommended.
Constructed in stock brick, rendered with colour washed dressings and supporting a slated roof, Cawkwell House has been a much loved home by the same family for over 60 years and is highly recommended to prospective purchasers who seek an unique country seat within outstanding countryside yet lying close to a variety of local amenities.
The property is just 6 miles from the historic market towns of Louth to the east and 7 miles from Horncastle to the west.
Internally the living accommodation is enjoyed across two floors, complimented by endless noteworthy original features such as ornate working fireplaces, decorative moulded cornices, two separate staircases and shutters to the main windows.
With rooms of generous proportions, the accommodation briefly comprises three large reception rooms, six bedrooms, three bathrooms, dining kitchen with large adjoining working kitchen, pantry and wash room opening onto enclosed rear courtyard which is framed by a variety of useful outbuildings to include: Potting Shed, Store, Freezer Room, Coal Store, Open Store, Gardeners WC
There is also a detached Coach House with Granary/Storage above, covered hardstanding area, feed store, tack room and six stables offering conversion potential subject to necessary consents or ideal for full utilisation for equestrian purposes.
The formal gardens wrap-around the property to the north and easterly elevations which offer mature gardens comprising well stocked flower and shrub borders and extensive lawned areas which can be enjoyed from the Timber Summer House.
Areas of adjoining grassland are available by separate negotiation.
The Lake is believed to total approx. 2 acres, a phenomenal man made, spring fed ornamental feature which has various bridges over for ease of pedestrian access and enjoyment, further complimented by the wide walkway around the lake in its entirety; a perfect pathway for a leisurely stroll on a summers evening.
The name Cawkwell is derived from the Saxon words for a chalk well. The hamlet has a significant spring, the largest in the area and in the latter part of the 19th century this was used to supply piped water to West Ashby, Horncastle and Woodhall Spa by the Horncastle Water Company.
The deserted medieval village was first mentioned in 1512. it was still documented int he 1870s but the only signs visible now are from aerial photographs of the site and a few old gravestones in the woods where the church of St. Perer stood, but these are mostly overgrown.
At the time of the Conquest, there were two estates at Cawekwell. One comprised of 24 households on Saxon lands, led by Store; the other on Danish owned land. The chief Dane was Chetel. The Saxons were known as villeins and hoodlums.
by 1578, both estates of Cawkwell belongs to Bryan Eland of Yorkshire. The farming acreage was more than 700 acres. The land for the most part was furze and heath.
Cawkwell passed through several hands before being bought by the Duke of Newcastle in 1707. The Newcastle family sold to the Yarboroughs in the 1760s and then to the Fourth Duke of Portland in 1842.
In 1791, the land was described as; a handmade road, very stony and chalky, through a high, bleak country with very steep hills. All the country about is fit for and dedicated to coursing.
A Newcastle survey of 1780, presented when the sale of Cawkwell was anticipated, concluded: the situation is very fine: fit for a hunting seat, having large downs on the north and east and spacious fields in the south and west.
Cawkwell was near the northern limit of the Brocklesby Hunt Country, which may have proved an incentive to the Yarboroughs to use the house as a hunting seat. The South Wold Hunt was founded in 1823 to take over this part of their tenure.
Situation and Sporting Information:
The property lies on the south side of the A153, 6 miles from the market town of Louth, 7 miles from Horncastle and 23 miles from the City of Lincoln.
Several coastal towns lie within a 20 mile distance with excellent golf courses at Sandilands (18 miles) and championship course at Woodhall Spa (14 miles). Hunting is enjoyed with the Southwold and the adjacent Hunts of the Blankney, Brocklesby and Burton and excellent National Hunt Racing at Market Rasen (16 miles).
Entrance Hall: 4.68 x 2.18 then 5.42 x 2.77 (15'4" x 7'2" then 17'9" x 9'1")
Doors to the principal reception rooms, leading onto main Hall with feature winding staircase to first floor, two enclosed radiators, access to the Cellars and Cloakroom
Dining Room: 6.70 x 4.68 (22'0" x 15'4")
With feature white mottled 'Wedgwood' style fireplace, south facing bay window, two west facing windows
Drawing Room: 6.62 x 4.60 (21'9" x 15'1")
With Lincrusta oak effect walls coverings, most decorative mahogany surround tile fireplace, 4 built in cupboards, one with built in safe.
Sitting Room: 5.25m x 3.19m (17'3" x 10'6")
With feature fireplace and oak surround, north bay window, two west facing windows
Cloakroom: (2.71 x 1.98) (( 8'11" x 6'6")
With WC and wash hand basin
Internal Lobby area with various Butlers Pantry leading on from
Butler's Pantry: 2.62 x 1.56 (8'7" x 5'1")
With shelving, built in cupboard and sink unit
Living Kitchen: 5.25 x 4.85 (17'3" x 15'11")
With green 'Nobel' oil fired range including four ovens, two hob tops, 4 ring electric hob, a feature native tiled backed inglenook with oak beam over. North facing window, two built in cupboards, door to, fitted units with sink unit
Boiler Room/Store: 2.78 x 2.77 (9'1" x 9'1")
Comprising oil fired central heating boiler
Back Kitchen: 5.18 x 4.22 (17'0" x 13'10")
An ideal working/preparation area. With sink unit, doors to back staircase and to Rear Hallway leading onto
Washroom / Store: 8.20 x 1.92 (26'11" x 6'4")
Pantry: 2.76 x 1.82 (9'1" x 6'0")
Rear Hall: 2.79 x 1.50 (9'2" x 4'11")
Opening onto the southern Court Yard, the second staircase to the first floor and an open additional Pantry
Court Yard: 11.58 x 4.65 (38'0" x 15'3")
Cobbled enclosed Courtyard with access to a variety of useful outhouses, to include:
Coal Store 11'10" x 6'3"
Freezer Room 11'10" x 10'3"
Open Porch 13'10" x 6'2"
Store 8'4" x 6'2"
Potting Shed 11'9" x 9'6"
Gardeners WC with additional store area leading off from the WC
Cellar: 2.68 x 2.24 plus 2.26 x 2.24 (8'10" x 7'4" plus 7'5" x 7'4")
Accessed underneath the main staircase, split into two sections
Split level staircase with access to the Bath and Shower Room, with the winding staircase leading onto an attractive spacious Landing with arched ceiling and encased radiators, with doors to all principal first floor rooms
Dressing Room: 2.50 x 2.21 (8'2" x 7'3")
Bedroom Two: 5.33 x 4.68 (17'6" x 15'4")
With original fireplace, 2 west facing windows, north window, built in cupboards, with door to
Compact en-suite comprising wash hand basin and WC
Bedroom Five: 4.21 x 2.77 (13'10" x 9'1")
Bedroom Six: 5.25 x 3.58 (17'3" x 11'9")
With door to
Ensuite: 3.16 x 2.76 (10'4" x 9'1")
Accessed via steps, with bath, wash hand basin and WC, door to rear staircase and inner hall providing access to
Box Room: 4.05 x 2.77 (13'3" x 9'1")
With handbasin and WC, steps up leading to the Inner Hall and Landing
The Courtyard Outbuildings:
Situated to the east of the residence, constructed in brick with pantiled roofs to include:
Stable 1/Garage Store 20'8" x 12'4"
Stable 2/Garage Store 20'8" x 12'3"
Stable 3 20'8" x 11'10"
Stable 4 20'8" x 12'2"
Stable 5 12'2" x 10'5"
Stable 6 12'2" x 10'8"
Covered Hard Standing 30'7" x 8'4" All situated in front of the Tack Room, Coach House and Feed Store
Tack Room 17'7" x 8'5"
Coach House 17'7" x 13'4"
Feed Store 17'3" x 8'2"
First Floor Granary 30'7" x 26'8" an opportunity considered ideal for conversion and utilisation, subject to necessary planning consents.
The elevated mature grounds are an outstanding feature of the residence which enjoys 3 separate vehicular accesses on to the A153 through mature woodland including mixed hardwoods, mainly Sycamore and Beech together with several specimen Cedar and Pine. Raised lawns to the west and south are bounded by well stock borders of Spring time bulbs, shrubs and perennials further complimented by a Timber Summer House.
The ornamental lake constructed in 1979 is spring fed, enjoys a water feature and small overflow waterfall and is surrounded by a lawned walkway. The lake believed to total about 2 acres is stocked with coarse fish and is regularly visited by a selection of wildfowl.
House and Grounds:
In all over 6.5 Acres
In 1987 Cawkwell House was listed as a building of Special Architectural and Historic Interest under the Town and Country Planning Act 1971.
Freehold. Vacant possession to be given on completion
Mains water and electricity are connected. Spring water serves the lake and formerly the residence. Domestic drainage is to a private system. Partial central heating via oil fired boiler.
A recent upgraded EPC is attached to these particulars.
The present amount payable for the year ending 31st March 2020 to East Lindsey District Council as assessed on Band G is the sum of £2,823.73
Fixtures and Fittings:
Only those items described within these sales particulars are included within the sale.
Strictly accompanied, prior arranged viewings through the Selling Agents at their Market Rasen office. Tel: 01673 843011
Opening Hours are Monday to Friday : 9 am to 5.15 pm - Saturday 9 am to 12.00 pm