6 bed rectory for saleWest Torrington
Interested in this property? Call us on 01673 843011
- Attractive Grade II Listed Former Rectory
- 1.25 Acres Landscaped Gardens with Mature Trees
- Feature Integral Chapel
- 6 Bedrooms
- 2 Gardens Rooms
- Outbuildings & Modern stable block
- Tranquil setting with far reaching views over farmland
Approached from private gated drive with stone pillars this is a fine south facing country house circa 1850 being marketed for the first time in 60 years and being the former home of Victorian Cleric writer and politician Thomas Wimberley Mossman then a leading figure in the new Oxford movement who scandalised the district with trainee priests in Papish dress who brought two bishops to the reopening of the local church. The small chapel is unusual in a domestic setting being part of Mossmans extension of 1862 with beautiful stained glass windows.
FEATURES Approached from private gated drive with stone pillars
A fine south facing country house circa 1850
3 good size reception rooms
Aga and farmhouse style kitchen
Intriguing Historical property being marketed for the first time in nearly 60 years
Former home of Victorian Cleric, writer and politician Thomas Wimberly Mossman – leading figure in the New Oxford Movement.
Features a small chapel which is unusual in a domestic setting.
Fronted by a sweeping lawn with mature trees, look back to the house from an enchanting stone summer house.
Vegetable garden, rose garden, orchard and woodland walk form part of gardens.
Large Victorian garden room – suitable for many uses.
Extensive out buildings and garages – with great potential for home working.
Modern stable block or possible annex.
SURROUNDING AREA Cathedral City of Lincoln – 13 miles – range of amenities and shopping, 2 universities, train service into London Kings Cross
Market Rasen – 5.3 miles – range of local shops, new leisure centre, supermarkets, gold course, racecourse
Market town of Louth, Horncastle – 13 miles
Schools: Lincoln Minster, St Hughes Woodhall Spa, Ellison Boulters, William Farr, De Aston
Airports: Humberside 21 miles with access to international hub at Schiphol, Doncaster 41 miles, East Midlands 63 miles
Motorway access: M180 and A 1
FRONT ENTRANCE PORCH Front elevation faces approach south. External storm door, Minton tile floor, original part glazed inner door
FRONT HALL Principle staircase, access to cellar
CELLAR Brick steps and brick lined, fresh water spring within well in floor
DRAWING ROOM 18′ 3" x 14′ 11" (5.57m x 4.57m) With walk in bay window facing gardens containing original shutters, deep coving and decorative ceiling. Connecting door to sitting room, fire place with metal hooded open fire
SITTING ROOM 15′ 11" x 13′ 9" (4.86m x 4.21m) Window to front lawns with original shutters and timbered ceiling and fireplace. Oil fired cast iron stove. Door into drawing room. Wooden built in bookcase.
DINING ROOM 14′ 7" x 14′ 10" (4.46m x 4.54m) Accessible from front hall and kitchen, dual aspect windows with original inset shutters. Deep coving and decorative ceiling. Park Ray solid fuel stove.
KITCHEN 18′ 0" x 11′ 7" (5.51m x 3.55m) Windows to courtyard and side gardens. Oil fired Aga in beamed and tiled ingle nook. Range of wooden fronted units, ceramic sink. Additional gas/electric cooking area with extractor. Access to Pantry, dining room and rear hall.
PANTRY 10′ 9" x 8′ 5" (3.30m x 2.59m) Practical work and storage space with windows to both front driveway and courtyard. Plumbing for washing machine, units and worktop, stainless steel sink.
REAR HALL Currently used as main house entrance, range of inbuilt cupboards for coats and boots. Access to kitchen and hallways
SHOWER ROOM Shower, wc and basin with electric towel rail. Window to rear courtyard.
EAST HALL Within the 1862 section of the house, secondary staircase.
BOOT ROOM/CUPBOARD ROOM 11′ 1" x 5′ 5" (3.40m x 1.66m) Generous original storage room with full height double cupboards, original meat hooks to ceiling.
REAR EAST HALL Access to chapel and external door to side gardens
CHAPEL 14′ 2" x 11′ 7" (4.32m x 3.54m) A fascinating feature of this property being a five sided exposed decorative brick chapel, beautiful stone surround stained glass windows to 2 sides currently used as an office. Fireplace with oil fired cast iron stove.
LANDING ACCESSED FROM MAIN STAIRCASE Ceiling skylight
MASTER BEDROOM 15′ 3" x 13′ 5" (4.66m x 4.11m) Window overlooking front lawns, bank of fitted wardrobes, access door to dressing room.
DRESSING ROOM Fitted wardrobes and drawer units, window to front lawn.
BEDROOM TWO 15′ 4" x 15′ 4" (4.68m x 4.68m) Window overlooking front lawns, 2 fitted wardrobes, fitted drawer units, original fireplace.
BEDROOM THREE 11′ 11" x 11′ 10" (3.64m x 3.61m) Fitted cupboards, original fireplace.
BATHROOM 10′ 3" x 8′ 5" (3.14m x 2.57m) Bath, pedestal basin, bidet and wc
BEDROOM FOUR 12′ 1" x 7′ 4" (3.70m x 2.24m) Original fireplace
W.C. Door above giving access to attic room
BEDROOM FIVE 13′ 8" x 16′ 0" (4.19m x 4.88m) Window to front lawns, original fireplace.
BATHROOM Window to rear, bath, basin unit, wc and walk in shower.
BEDROOM SIX 11′ 1" x 12′ 10" (3.38m x 3.93m) Original fireplace, views over farmland.
OUTSIDE Modern brick/slate detached garage with up and over door, side door, electric supply.
COURTYARD With range of original buildings and land/storage area behind – buildings have potential for conversion into other uses
TWO STALL STABLE 15′ 9" x 12′ 5" (4.8m x 3.78m) Original fittings and floor, Belfast sink, electric metre location, including 3 phase supply.
COAL & LOG STORE 15′ 9" x 8′ 2" (4.82m x 2.51m) With brick floor and electric supply
WORKSHOP 15′ 9" x 8′ 5" (4.82m x 2.57m) With full height double doored access, window to rear and electric supply
DAIRY 15′ 6" x 9′ 5" (4.73m x 2.89m) With electric supply
MODERN ATTACHED GARAGE 22′ 2" x 15′ 11" (6.77m x 4.87m) With up and over vehicle access door and pedestrian door to rear land area, electric supply
MODERN RANGE OF STABLES 10′ 0" x 9′ 4" (3.05m x 2.84m) Brick and slate, electric supply. Potential for annex conversion.
Currently in 3 separate rooms with doors and windows to farmland at rear. Kitchen unit with water supply to middle room
11′ 0" x 11′ 6" (3.35m x 3.51m)
9′ 10" x 9′ 4" (3m x 2.84m)
10′ 0" x 9′ 4" (3.05m x 2.84m)
BRICK BUILT TOOL SHEDS
STONE AND SLATE HEXAGONAL SUMMER HOUSE Electric supply, views back to house.
PERIOD VICTORIAN GARDEN ROOM Timber, slate roof with skylights, stained glass windows, sink and electric supply, patio doors onto stone terrace. Adjoining wc in separate brick building. Potential for home gym, cinema, games room etc.
GARDENS South facing lawn bounded by ancient Irish Yews. Patio area to front of property with brick wall and water feature to one end. Timber pergola walk to side of lawn leading to garden gate onto lane and summer house. Wooded area, leading to orchard and kitchen garden. Further areas of lawn and pond, woodland walk to boundary. Brick and stone BBQ. Mature Beech hedged Rose garden. Variety of mature trees including Lime, Yew, Copper Beech, Mulberry and Quince
NOTE The Old Rectory dates to 1850 with chapel extension dating 1863 of red brick design with slate roofs and three ridge stacks of two storey design with four bay fronts with right hand bay projecting with gable and cross finial. The chapel extension being two storey polygonal chapel of 1863, attached to the East wall with decorated eaves, two ashlar dressed windows each of two pointed lights with plate traceried quatrefoil above, with fine Victorian glass including the initials of Thomas Wimberley Mossman.
The Chapel interior being of brick with decorated eaves. Thomas Mossman who built it was the vicar of West Torrington from 1859 – 1885 and was an important controversial figure in the Oxford movement correspondent with Cardinal Newman founder of the Brotherhood training poor men for the priesthood.
This information has been provided by Historic England
SERVICES The property is provided with electric and 3 phase, water, septic tank and oil tanks. Part oil and part electric central heating.
TENURE & POSSESSION Freehold
Vacant possession will be given on completion on the purchase. No forward chain
OUTGOINGS The property falls into Council Tax Band G payable to East Lindsey District Council, Tedder Hall, Manby Middlegate, Louth LN11 8UP Tel :01507 601111
FIXTURES & FITTINGS Only those items described within these sales particulars are included within the sale but other items may be available via separate negotiation.
VIEWING Strictly through the Selling Agents at their Market Rasen office. Tel:01673843011
OPENING HOURS Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm – Saturday 9am to 12pm
WEBSITE You will find further selection of our properties if you log onto